Most Valuable Four Teams at the 2014 World Cup (And One Crap One as a Bonus!)

There are some megastars on show at the World Cup but which nation will be fielding the most valuable XI in Brazil?

Brazil themselves, Spain, Germany or perhaps an outsider such as Belgium?

Let’s take a look at the four most valuable teams at this year’s World Cup and take a look at one other side that may be of interest… England.

Germany

Embed from Getty Images

Germany have a wealth of talent in midfield and in attack, as well as one of the very best goalkeepers in the world, but will their defence be strong enough to cope with the best attacking players in the world, especially if captain Philipp Lahm, pictured, plays at full-back rather than as a defensive midfielder?

  • Manuel Neuer – £30m
  • Philipp Lahm – £27m
  • Jerome Boateng – £27m
  • Per Mertesacker – £13m
  • Marcel Schmelzer – £9m
  • Bastian Schweinsteiger – £30m
  • Toni Kroos – £40m
  • Thomas Muller – £42m
  • Mesut Ozil – £44m
  • Mario Gotze – £48m
  • Miroslav Klose – £1m

Germany Total – £311m

Argentina

Embed from Getty Images

Headed by the world’s most valuable player, Lionel Messi (pictured), Argentina are the second favourites for the World Cup.

  • Sergio Romero – £4m
  • Pablo Zabaleta – £16m
  • Ezequiel Garay – £17m
  • Federico Fernandez – £4m
  • Marcos Rojo – £5m
  • Angel Di Maria – £28m
  • Javier Mascherano – £12m
  • Ever Banega – £10m
  • Gonzalo Higuain – £42m
  • Lionel Messi – £120m
  • Sergio Aguero – £45m

Argentina Total – £303m

Brazil

Embed from Getty Images

Hosts and tournament favourites Brazil are pinning a lot of hope on they highly talented starlet Neymar, but they have quality throughout their team, squad and indeed many players not even deemed good enough for the final 23.

  • Julio Cesar – £2m
  • Dani Alves – £15m
  • Thiago Silva – £38m
  • David Luiz – £40m
  • Marcelo – £20m
  • Fernandinho – £30m
  • Paulinho – £18m
  • Oscar – £30m
  • Hulk – £42m
  • Neymar – £55m
  • Fred – £7m

Brazil Total – £297m

Spain

Embed from Getty Images

The Spanish national team do not have individuals in quite the same way as some of our other most valuable sides but every member of their XI is top drawer, with no real weaknesses.

  • Iker Casillas – £11m
  • Cesar Azpilicueta – £18m
  • Gerard Pique – £31m
  • Sergio Ramos – £31m
  • Jordi Alba – £22m
  • Sergio Busquets – £40m
  • Xavi – £8m
  • Xabi Alonson – £10m
  • David Silva – £33m
  • Andres Iniesta – £35m
  • Diego Costa – £45m

Spain Total – £284m

England

Embed from Getty Images

To put things into perspective and to stop any Three Lions fans getting too carried away, here’s the value of England’s likely starting XI.

It’s also worth noting that the values used for players are approximate market values and consequently English players tend to be worth more than their overseas counterparts of similar ability.

England have no hope, none at all. Sorry but it’s the truth. Less than none. Anyway, this is the XI we’d like to see line up in Brazil but we expect a much more defensive side from Mr Hodgson. Either way: no chance.

  • Joe Hart – £18m
  • Leighton Baines – £18m
  • Phil Jagielka – £7m
  • Gary Cahill – £18m